Archaeology covers all aspects of the materiality of human societies from early Prehistory to modern times.
Archaeologists take an interdisciplinary approach, using techniques that are found in science, humanities, and all the fields in between. You will learn about ancient cultures and archaeological research methods, but also about geology, ecology, and the characteristics of different materials.
During the study you will be introduced to heritage management and actively participate in excavations. Furthermore, you will examine finds in a laboratory and acquire academic skills such as debating, presenting, and academic writing.
A brand new international and English-taught BA in Archaeology has started on 1 September 2015
Archaeology in Leiden
- has a strong, global emphasis, with wide networks in international research
- offers excellent facilities in the heart of Leiden’s academic community
- delivers English language teaching by enthusiastic lecturers
- provides hands-on excavation experience under the guidance of experts
- offers high-quality practical courses in state-of-the-art laboratories
- gives undergraduates the opportunity to participate in the latest research